Monday, December 21, 2015

Kierans Corner presents
Star Wars Clone or Storm trooper armor

First day of Christmas break the gauntlet was thrown down by my 7 year old to make him clone trooper armor.  I asked for a reference and I was provided with a lovely 3 inch imaginext storm trooper as my guide.
I decided to use  a armor pattern I made back in my SCA days and go from there.




Step 1: draw out your pattern, and find a suitable material to make your armor out of. I am using foam core with plastic sheeting on either side.






Step 2: Use a heat gun to warm the plastic until it flexes upwards, the form is easy to bend and shape to what you want. Hold the form you want for 20-30 seconds until the plastic hardens.















Step 3: the parts are coming together nicely. If possible use the intended wearer to form the pieces around.  Luckily my son was my assistant and we were able to make adjustments on the fly.


















Step 4: Top of the chest armor is roughly complete for my 4 and 7 year old sons














Step 5:  drawing out the shoulders, and arm peices






Step 6: fast forward a bit to formed pieces before attaching them together.




Step 7: Using hot glue, Chicago screws, and velcro, I assembled the armor so my son could easily take the armor off and on as he sees fit.






Step 8: Second part of chest armor: to be detailed later

Step 9: Leg armor - to be detailed later

Step 10: who knows, more to come




No comments:

Post a Comment